Emails Bouncing - Please Help!!

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Tue Apr 25 06:51:49 UTC 2006

On Mon, 2006-04-24 at 15:41 -0400, Steven Pasternak wrote:
> Hi! I am on a bunch of mailing-lists (this one, kde-linux, and
> suse-linux-e), and I have gotten a message from each about my messages
> bouncing and my account being suspended.

As you'll, no doubt, have read by now, this will be due to where your
mailbox is (usually your ISP) before you fetch mail onto your computer.

> I use thunderbird 1.5.0.2 on FC5. I have almost 40,000 emails from
> June '04 saved. Could I have some sort of virus?

I seriously doubt it.

> Does linux GET viruses?

You have to work hard at it, but generally no.  If you're going the
strict definition of a virus being something that spreads itself, it's
very difficult.  You have to, pretty much, put malware on your box
yourself.

> I really don't want to be permanently canned from the lists, so could
> anyone help?

Delivery just gets suspended until you rectify it.

If your ISP doesn't provide large mailboxes, you might be best to find a
better mail host for your list mail.  You don't have to receive mail
through your ISP.

I read messages from the public lists.