Installation of Fedora 5 failure. Help needed

David Timms dtimms at bigpond.net.au
Tue Apr 25 10:54:46 UTC 2006

sgong at gmu.edu wrote:
> I downloaded CD images several times and tried to burn into CD
> several times. Everytime when I do the disk test before installation,
> disk 3 and disk 5 will fail the test.
There is a known problem where the media check will fail on perfectly
good cd/dvd images. If you  check the sha1sum of each iso with that
provided on the fedora download site (sha1sum), you can check that you
have a clean download image.

> I then used DVD image to do the test, and it passed. However, when I
> installed the OS to my computer,
What options did you choose in package selection ?
Can you give an idea of the motherboard/cpu/ graphics adapter you are
using ?

> after the installation was finished
> and the system reboot, it would halt after I entered the username and
> password to login and before the final desktop showed up.
When it appears halted can you switch to one of the text mode terminals
using ctrl-alt-f1 to f4 ?
If so, log in and run   top  to see if some process has gone awol (q to
exit) ?

If can't get to a terminal, touch a key while booting, so that you can
modify the grub kernel boot line.
Edit the kernel line and remove the rhgb and quiet words. You will now
see all that is going on behind the scenes (text), and the last few
lines pasted here will hopefully lead to a solution.

> If I reboot
> it, the system will stop before the login page appear.
Again grub|kernel remove rhgb and quiet. Also, try to start in runlevel
3 (no GUI); this can help to determine if it is something to do with X.

> I tried both installation DVD and CD for 6+ times, and the phenomenon
> is the same. I wonder if anyone has seen this problem before and how
> to solve it. Or anyone has ever installed it successfully, what was
> his hardware configuration and software package.
Personally installed FC5 on about 6 machines (pentiumII,celeron,amd
athlon 2600, and more modern intels and AMD's) with between (128 and 1G
ram), notebook PC's (eg HP omnibook 4150, hp xe2, hp compaq nx9000),
little to all items selected.

If you reply with the info above, you'll probably find that someone will
know what is going on :)

DaveT.