FC5 - quick yum fix for java plugin?

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Wed Apr 26 10:23:31 UTC 2006

Marc M wrote:
> Well now it appears that the java installation has hosed additional things
> on my box.  For example when I try to yum I get the below errors.
>
> 1) Can anyone help me clean off *all* of the java so I can start over?  I
> have been through all of the instructions posted to me (thanks guys) but
> somehow it just doesn't work regardless - I still get the same dependency
> hell for java.

Let's worry about that after sorting yum out.

> 2)   Does anyone know if there is a way to rebuild a hosed yum.conf or
> somehow fix it completely?  Seperate issue I know, but there seems to be
> something wrong with it.

Clearly. Let's get rid of all the non-default repos. A stock FC5 install
has the following repo files in /etc/yum.repos.d :

fedora-core.repo
fedora-development.repo
fedora-extras-development.repo
fedora-extras.repo
fedora-legacy.repo
fedora-updates.repo
fedora-updates-testing.repo

Try moving any other file in that directory somewhere else (e.g. your
home directory) and then try yum again.

 > IOW would a
 >
 > # rm java*
 >
 > be a bad thing to do or would it break too many other things possibly?

Don't do that. Anything installed using rpm should be removed using rpm,
lest you want a hosed system.

Paul.