Bad night with FC-5

James Wilkinson fedora at westexe.demon.co.uk
Wed Apr 26 12:05:06 UTC 2006

Tony Heaton wrote:
> When you say Fedora, do you mean Core 5?  If so, I would not suggest any
> new user use the latest release of any distribution of any OS. Core 4
> and previous on the other hand are quite stable.  I always suggest that
> new users use a live cd of some sort.  This gives them a feel for the OS
> before the commit a lot of time to it only to find out they don't like
> it.  After that they should use a stable release and get more experience
> before moving on to the bleeding edge stuff.

Um.

Yes, a new user would be advised not to use a new release in the first
few weeks, just in case there are any show-stopper problems (I remember
a Mandrake that killed buggy LG CD drives:
http://lwn.net/Articles/55815/)

But I'd argue that once a distribution has been out for a month or so,
any common installation problems should have become known, and other
problems should have been patched. Then there's no real reason not to
install the latest release of their chosen distribution. Apart from
anything else, it delays the (potentially stressful) day when they first
have to do an OS upgrade.

Timothy, can you remember *which* RPM failed? What happens if you
loopback mount the ISO (or just mount the CD), and try rpm --checksig on
it?

FWIW, I upgraded FC4 to FC5 on AMD64 using a DVD with no problems at
all...

James.

--
E-mail address: james |    "Just for once, I wish we would encounter an
@westexe.demon.co.uk  | alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets..."