dump/restore (or "star") and SELinux problems

Kayvan A. Sylvan kayvan at sylvan.com
Wed Apr 26 21:14:33 UTC 2006

Hi folks,

I am trying again. I haven't gotten an answer that works yet and hoping that
people who know more about SELinux and Fedora can see this and suggest
a solution (or at least a way to investigate).

My goal: To be able to reszie a partition (or rearrange filesystems) without
losing any data or meta-data.

parted is useless, since it won't handle the xattr filesystem data.

I used dump to create a filesystem backup, then used the FC5 Install DVD
to go into rescue mode and restore the dump. That seem to work okay for
the file data. However, for each and every file, I get the message:

    restore: lsetxattr ./filename_being_restored failed: Invalid argument

Using "ls -Z", I see that all the files end up being unlabeled (or they
are in the unlabeled_t context).

These files were all set up in Fedora FC4, using the targeted policy.

When I am booting up using the FC5 Install DVD ("linux rescue"), the SELinux
startup shows:

  security:  3 users, 6 roles, 1161 types, 135 bools, 1 sens, 256 cats
  security:  55 classes, 38679 rules
  SELinux:  Completing initialization.
  SELinux:  Setting up existing superblocks.
  SELinux: initialized (dev loop0, type squashfs), not configured for labeling
  SELinux: initialized (dev usbfs, type usbfs), uses genfs_contexts
  SELinux: initialized (dev ramfs, type ramfs), uses genfs_contexts
  SELinux: initialized (dev ramfs, type ramfs), uses genfs_contexts
  SELinux: initialized (dev tmpfs, type tmpfs), uses transition SIDs
  SELinux: initialized (dev debugfs, type debugfs), uses genfs_contexts
  SELinux: initialized (dev selinuxfs, type selinuxfs), uses genfs_contexts
  SELinux: initialized (dev mqueue, type mqueue), uses transition SIDs
  SELinux: initialized (dev hugetlbfs, type hugetlbfs), uses genfs_contexts
  SELinux: initialized (dev devpts, type devpts), uses transition SIDs
  SELinux: initialized (dev eventpollfs, type eventpollfs), uses genfs_contexts
  SELinux: initialized (dev inotifyfs, type inotifyfs), uses genfs_contexts
  SELinux: initialized (dev tmpfs, type tmpfs), uses transition SIDs
  SELinux: initialized (dev futexfs, type futexfs), uses genfs_contexts
  SELinux: initialized (dev pipefs, type pipefs), uses task SIDs
  SELinux: initialized (dev sockfs, type sockfs), uses task SIDs
  SELinux: initialized (dev cpuset, type cpuset), not configured for labeling
  SELinux: initialized (dev proc, type proc), uses genfs_contexts
  SELinux: initialized (dev bdev, type bdev), uses genfs_contexts
  SELinux: initialized (dev rootfs, type rootfs), uses genfs_contexts
  SELinux: initialized (dev sysfs, type sysfs), uses genfs_contexts

I have also tried using "star" with the following args:

  star -v -c -xdev -sparse -acl -link-dirs level=0 -wtardumps \
        f=root.star -C / .

And then, when booted into the rescue mode, did the following to extract:

  star -xpU -restore f=root.star

This produced the same result. The files end up being unlabeled.

I am wondering if I have to have the same SELinux policy loaded while
in the rescue mode in order to avoid the "lsetxattr: invalid argument"
error? How would I go about doing that?

Thanks for any help!

			---Kayvan
--
Kayvan A. Sylvan          | Proud husband of       | Father to my kids:
Sylvan Associates, Inc.   | Laura Isabella Sylvan, | Katherine Yelena (8/8/89)