Q re moving email to diff machine

Ed Greshko Ed.Greshko at greshko.com
Thu Apr 27 04:44:49 UTC 2006

Gene Heskett wrote:
> On Wednesday 26 April 2006 22:59, Ed Greshko wrote:
>> Gene Heskett wrote:
>>> Now I'm not understanding what you want me to do.  Is this something
>>> I do on this FC2 box where these folders live?  These are kmail-1.7
>>> folders, from a kde-3.3.0 built by konstruct install.  On this FC2
>>> box.
>> He wants you to copy/move the folders from the old box to the new box
>> using your email client (evolution, thunderbird, whatever).  This will
>> use the IMAP protocol to take the mails and upload them to new box.
>> In the process, all mailbox format conversions will be done
>> automagically.
>>
> That I'd assume means I can see them from the new box, I can't, at least
> not enough to convince me its looking at the imap server on this FC2
> box.  I have about 65 folders, and I'm only seeing 3 IIRC.

I'm having a bit of a hard time understanding your terminology.

But, you have 2 systems.  An FC2 with your old mails and and FC5 system
where you to move/copy the old mails to.  Today, what email client do
you use to access your emails on the FC2 system?

I believe you have installed the IMAP server dovecot on your FC5 system.

You then run your email client on the FC2 system (what client?)  With
that client you should be able to access your emails as you always have.
 Yes?  Then in your email client you create a new account that points to
the IMAP server on FC5.

At this point, in a single email client you should see your old emails
as well as access the new account.  Since this is an IMAP server you
will probably see Inbox, Sent, and Trash Folders.

Create whatever folders you want on the FC5 system.  Then go into each
folder on your FC2 system and select all or whatever messages you want
to copy and then copy from one account to another.

It may be easiest for me to take s screen shot to show you what I mean
using Thunderbird....but I hesitate to post a screen shot on a mailing
list as others may take a "scream shot" at me for doing so...  :-)

--
"Today's robots are very primitive, capable of understanding only a few
 simple instructions such as 'go left', 'go right', and 'build car'."