fc3, fc4, fc5, grub

Chuck Sterling csterlin at zianet.com
Thu Apr 27 06:02:53 UTC 2006

A month ago I tried to replace (not upgrade) fc3 with fc5 on my 1.7Ghz
P4 PC. It used grub to boot fc3 or WinXP Pro, and worked fine with fc3.
When I installed (not upgrade) fc5 I had it install grub. After, the
system would get to the point where it displayed "GRUB" and stopped. Not
a prompt; the system was locked up and would not answer the keyboard.
The next thing that it normally would have done, IIRC, is display
I did not troubleshoot it or try to fix it at that time, I just
reinstalled WinXP since it was about time anyway, and did without Linux.

Later, I wound up with an older PC, a 350Mhz PII, back from my daughter,
and I reloaded WinXP Home Edition to clear the thing out and start over.
It had one 20GB IDE drive and I installed another one to load Linux. I
installed fc5 on the second drive and wound up in the same place as on
the other PC. Reinstalled WinXP (later found out that was not
necessary). Tried installing fc4; same problem. But I had read some
messages here and made notes on grub.conf. Then I got it running by
installing fc3 and its grub boot loader; the WinXP was undamaged and
both would boot and run. I had done a minimal fc3 installation to save
time, and then did an upgrade to fc4. Still boots okay. A few minutes
ago I reinstalled fc3 with all the packages. Still boots okay. Tomorrow
I may upgrade to fc4 again and see if it boots. If it does I will
probably do yet another upgrade to fc5 and see what happens.

Ramble, ramble...

Anyway, I looked over quite a few messages here and did not find any
that talk about stopping between stage one and two, unless that's what
folks are talking about when grub finds a bad grub.conf or does not find
one at all. I compared the grub.conf that was installed with the broken
fc4 and the working fc3 and they both look the same to me. Something
else I guess. I don't get it...

Is this a common problem that has already been solved? If so, someone
please point me in the right direction and help me to get the system
running and understand what is going wrong. Until this happened to my
second PC I thought it was just a machine problem; now I'm thinking
software and I'm probably not the only one.

Best regards,
Chuck Sterling