[fc5] I seem to have misplaced a few MHz

Andy Green andy at warmcat.com
Thu Apr 27 09:04:58 UTC 2006

Michael A. Peters wrote:
> On Thu, 2006-04-27 at 09:09 +0100, Andy Green wrote:
>> Perhaps somebody else can give advice if you are a gnome person.
>
> I'm not positive - but I think my bios can take care of it automatically
> - full speed on AC and clocked down on battery - if the OS doesn't try
> to interfere. I'll test it. I believe that is what was happening in FC3
> and FC4 - where the clock speed definitely did change, but was at ~
> 700MHz when on AC.
>
> My bios is too old for proper ACPI support (at least fc4 would always
> say so in /var/log/messages - fc5 doesn't seem to)

You should perhaps kill cpuspeed from starting at boot at all if you
think your BIOS really can cope on its own, otherwise cpuspeed will
likely step in anyway

chkconfig cpuspeed off

Unless your BIOS is beyond hope, as some are, it's definitely an
advantage if Linux can do the power management.

-Andy