Weird ADSL problem fc4, fc5

Petar Dimitrijevic perodim at on.net.mk
Thu Apr 27 09:35:11 UTC 2006

Hi guys,

I have the following problem.

I have ADSL internet connection. It is 512kb/128kb link with 4GB limit.
When the limit is exceeded the provider takes the speed down to
64kb/64kb. Then weird things start to happen. When I try to download
anything or try to open a site with large picture on it the connection
stalls. The stalling always happens after downloaded 600 KB. If I'm
downloading with Firefox than there is no solution. If I restart the
download it stalls all the time. If I use KGet or d4x all I have to do
is pause the download and continue it afterwards and it continues for
another 600 KB and then stalls again.

This only happens after the connection gets limited. While the full
bandwidth is available I have no such problems and everything is working
great.

I have Windows, CentOS 4.2 i386, FC4 x86_64 (both with few stock kernels
and few with my own compiled kernels) and FC5 i386 installed. If I
reboot to win then everything works fine and stalls don't happen at all,
but if I use any linux system then stalls happen all the time. I also
have vmware installed on CentOS and FC4 and a copy of Win XP under it.
The same problem affects all win apps under vmware.

On my desktop machine I have NForce4 motherboard with 1GB NVidia LAN,
but the same  problem affects my laptop when it is connected. It has
Broadcom 1GB LAN adapter. Because of this I don't think that the problem
is hardware related.

I hope somebody has an idea what may be going on.

Petar