NetworkManager: A User's Review

Michael A. Peters mpeters at mac.com
Thu Apr 27 10:28:24 UTC 2006

On Wed, 2006-04-26 at 17:04 -0700, Robert F. Chapman wrote:

> Thus far I haven't had any success with WEP of any kind, as the wireless
> drivers for my wireless card do not support it.  Anyone with any
> suggestions for a well supported Wireless G notebook adapter would be
> much appreciated.

I do not use WEP myself at home (I don't use any security - I only have
one direct neighbor, a field with coyotes and rabbits behind me, and
parking in the street is strictly forbidden - and they tow fast).

But when visiting Dad in Bay Area - I've had no problem getting on his
network which does use WEP (with a hex key).

My card is atheros based - I use the madwifi drivers from rpm.livna.org

I don't use NetworkManager though - it doesn't seem to properly detect
signal strength, and constantly drops the connection.