Is wireless support any better with FC5?

Joel Jaeggli joelja at darkwing.uoregon.edu
Thu Apr 27 17:23:04 UTC 2006

On Thu, 27 Apr 2006, Lyvim Xaphir wrote:

> On Fri, 2006-04-21 at 12:13 +0300, Alexander Mamchenkov wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>>> I have a Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 2100, and the ipw2100 driver is now in the
>>> kernel (Later FC4 kernels also have it). It appears rock solid (although
>>> the version in the current FC5 kernel is 1.1.3 and thus does not yet
>>> support WPA I think... WEP should be fine though.)
>>
>> I have Intel(R) PRO/WIreless 2200 and it works pretty fine with ipw2200. The
>> only thing I had to do was to update the firmware. I also found out that I
>> have some problems on newer kernels (after I do update), but it works pretty
>> fine on the kernel supplied on FC5 installation CDs
>
> Is it Super-G capable?

No because super-g is an atheros proprietary feature. If you want ~100Mb/s
you really need to wait for 802.11n standard equipment.

Between a host on the other side of a g-only ap and in intel 2915 I can do
currently do ~22Mb/s of actual data throughput, switching over to A pushs
that out to around 24Mb/s.

Joel Jaeggli  	       Unix Consulting 	       joelja at darkwing.uoregon.edu