What backup method(s) do you use?

Mike McCarty Mike.McCarty at sbcglobal.net
Thu Apr 27 18:03:40 UTC 2006

Gordon Messmer wrote:
> Mike McCarty wrote:
>
>> Arthur Pemberton wrote:
>>

>>> I took a quick look at the docs on 'dump' it seems to say that it is
>>> for ext3 file systems no? If so, how do you dump to smb server on
>>

>> No. The dump command dumps any UNIX like file system, any file system
>> based on inodes. The one shipped with Linux is the GNU/Free Software
>> Foundation dump, which apparently can only dump ext2/ext3 file systems.
>

> It would probably be more accurate to say that most filesystems have a
> "dump" program that supports them.  "The" dump command on Linux only
> supports ext2/3.  ReiserFS, for example, has no dump command at all. XFS
> uses "xfsdump", which isn't packaged in FC5.

Well, since you want to pick nits, "Linux" has no "dump" at all,
since it's just a kernel. So you're wrong.

As I said, the one which ships with Fedora Core is the GNU/Free
Software Foundation dump which supports ext2 and ext3, and this
is accurate.

GNU is not Linux.

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.