fc3, fc4, fc5, grub

Chuck Sterling csterlin at zianet.com
Fri Apr 28 01:10:24 UTC 2006

Timothy Murphy wrote:
> Chuck Sterling wrote:
>
>> A month ago I tried to replace (not upgrade) fc3 with fc5 on my 1.7Ghz
>> P4 PC. It used grub to boot fc3 or WinXP Pro, and worked fine with fc3.
>> When I installed (not upgrade) fc5 I had it install grub. After, the
>> system would get to the point where it displayed "GRUB" and stopped. Not
>> a prompt; the system was locked up and would not answer the keyboard.
>
> Not really an answer to your problem,
> but it seems to me there is a very strong argument
> for having a separate /boot partition
> which is left alone when you upgrade or install.
>
> In your case I wonder if grub was confused about the disks?
> I'd try running Knoppix or Fedora in Rescue mode
> and say "grub-install --recheck /dev/hda" or whatever.

I did recall another detail but not the exact circumstances. In a couple
of installation tries of fc5 it was as though the boot sector was
untouched. The system would boot into WinXP without displaying any kind
of boot menu. Right now the successful fc3 installation is being
upgraded to fc4. We'll see... If it fails I will try the command
suggested above.

Chuck