windows lost after installing Linux

Jonathan Berry berryja at gmail.com
Fri Apr 28 15:31:34 UTC 2006

On 4/28/06, Ankush Grover <ankush174 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hey friends,
>
>    One of my friend has recently installed FC4 on a Desktop PC on which
> Windows 2000 was there. Now he is not able to boot to windows and he has
> very important files on windows.

Always, always, *always* back up important files before doing
something like installing another OS ;).

>  How will he get the option of dual boot means how to edit grub so that he
> can get the option of dual boot?

Assuming that Windows is still there, it's a simple edit to
/etc/grub.conf (edit as root).  Something like:

title Windows 2000
rootnoverify (hd0,0)
chainloader +1

Then save, reboot, select Windows 2000 and hopefully it will boot.  If
Windows happens to be on another drive/partition, adjust (hd0,0)
accordingly.  See:
http://www.gnu.org/software/grub/
for more details on GRUB.

Jonathan