Help: aborted 'yum upgrade' and corrupted rpm database resulted

Robinson Tiemuqinke hahaha_30k at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 28 23:07:24 UTC 2006

Hi,

 Just encounts an odd problem with yum 2.4 on Fedora
Core 4: obsoleted rpms are not cleanup by yum when the
latter is killed and runs again.

 I tried to update the system the newest patch level,
it works at the beginning but suddently yum hangs --
most packages were updated with a few left.

 I had to kill the yum process and restart again, this
time it runs to the end and upgrade all the left
packages.

But when I tried to see what's in my rpm database, I
found that there are duplicate entries for all
packages upgraded before hang -- Yum doesn't cleanup
the old version info from rpm database because it
hanged and then be killed.

Any one know how to deal with this problem
effectively? I hate to list tens of obsoleted rpms one
by one and feed them to "rpm -e --justdb" command.

If I don't clean up the obsoleted rpms from rpm
database, then next upgrade will definitely falls into
trouble.

Please help.

Thanks.