Help: aborted 'yum upgrade' and corrupted rpm database resulted

Sam Varshavchik mrsam at courier-mta.com
Sat Apr 29 00:38:38 UTC 2006

Robinson Tiemuqinke writes:

> But when I tried to see what's in my rpm database, I
> found that there are duplicate entries for all
> packages upgraded before hang -- Yum doesn't cleanup
> the old version info from rpm database because it
> hanged and then be killed.
>
> Any one know how to deal with this problem
> effectively? I hate to list tens of obsoleted rpms one
> by one and feed them to "rpm -e --justdb" command.

Well, that's just what you'll have to do.

When I upgraded from FC3 to FC4, for some reason every invocation of
/sbin/ldconfig from a %post and %postun segfaulted, when anaconda was doing
its business.  The end result was a crapload of packages that had both the
old and the new package versions in rpmdb.  This was 100% reproducible, with
each machine that I upgraded from FC3 to FC4.  This was even more fun with
the x86_64 FC, with multilib packages.

rpm can really blow goats, sometimes.

So, I just had to write a script to find every package with dupe versions
installed, and remove the obsoleted version of the package.

That's life.