FC5: graphical install problem

Jim Cornette fc-cornette at insight.rr.com
Sat Apr 29 20:09:14 UTC 2006

Dario Lesca wrote:
> Il giorno gio, 27/04/2006 alle 15.14 +0200, Dario Lesca ha scritto:
>> I am trying to install FC-5, on a system whit a Intel 82865 MB, but X
>> won't start for graphical install.
>
>> Is this a know problem?
>> there is a bypass, beyond the "linux text" mode?
>
> I have install FC5 in text mode, when I run:
>    'system-config-display --reconfig'
> command the screen come black and X don't work.
>
> I have manual modify the /etc/X11/xorg.conf file and change the driver
> "i810" of the "Device" section to "vesa" and now X work.
>
> There is a Bug on i810 driver?
>
> It is possible from the install boot option to force the anaconda to use
> the vesa VGA driver?
> How To?
>
> Many thanks

I have a computer that works fine with an Intel 865G using the i810 driver.

The computer that I am using that works is a Dell Optiplex.

Anyway the kernel module for the i910 is used along with the Intel i810
for DRM. Previously the kernel i810 module was used for the card.

If you could change the driver back to i810 and run modprobe i910 before
running system-config-display --reconfig the kernel module should be
loaded for the Intel graphics driver.
If you still get the black screen and can possibly reboot the system,
rebooting the system into runlevel 3 and grabbing the var/log/Xorg.0.log
and saving it before trying to start X again. Then you can post the log
and more information can be revealed as to the possible cause of your
problem.

If you start X before getting the /var/log/Xorg.0.log from the failure,
the log would be overwritten when X was started again. The log is a
session log. That is why I mentioned grabbing the log before starting X.

I remember seeing a posting from someone with a Sony computer that
reported a failure with X on the test list related to blank screen using
the 865G video. I don't recall a resolution to his reported problem.

Jim

--
Is it possible that software is not like anything else, that it is meant to
be discarded:  that the whole point is to always see it as a soap bubble?