Laptop Display Problems

Annette T Robart ARobart at Hughes.Net
Sun Apr 30 00:09:37 UTC 2006

Message: 7
Date: Sat, 29 Apr 2006 16:47:27 -0400 (EDT)
From: Matthew Saltzman <mjs at ces.clemson.edu>
Subject: Re: Laptop Display problems
To: For users of Fedora Core releases <fedora-list at redhat.com>

On Sat, 29 Apr 2006, Michael A. Peters wrote:

> On Sat, 2006-04-29 at 08:37 -0400, Terry Snyder wrote:
>> On 4/29/06, Annette T Robart <ARobart at hughes.net> wrote:
>>          Hi there, please excuse me; I am totally new to this
>>         product.  I have installed FC1 to my desktop with absolutely
>>         no problems.  It came with my textbook for my Unix class.  Now
>>         I am trying to install it on an extra laptop that I don't use.
>>         It was a new hard drive so it is the only thing on it. It is
>>         an IBM A21P 850Mhz, with 512 ram and a 15 inch monitor.  It
>>         installs fine, but it stops at the monitor and I'm not sure
>>         what to pick?? I don't see anything in the documentation and
>>         nothing in the BIOS. I guessed a couple times and when it
>>         boots up the X window fails. I get "bad mode clock/interface",
>>         hsync out of range, fatal error, no screens found.
>>
>>         Does anyone know what I should pick for a monitor and what
>>         range I should pick?
>>
>>         Thanks so much!
>>
>>         Annette
>
> Hi and welcome to Fedora.
>
> Om my IBM Thinkpad T20 - I use Generic LCD at 1024x768 as the monitor -
> and it works.

I believe the 1024x768 Thinkpad display is an "IBM 9514-B TFT Panel".
That's what I use on m T41.

> That being said - Fedora Core 1 is really old and no longer supported.
> I suggest you get a copy of Fedora Core 4 or Fedora Core 5 and try that.
>
> Note that installing FC5 on my Thinkpad T20 was a little tricky, FC4
> installs just dandy - both are currently supported with official
> updates. FC5 might install as intended for you though, I don't know.
>
> I do not recommend using FC1 at this point in time.

Seconded.

Well I've tried everything else, I guess you are right. I'll have to go with
Core 4. I just need to find it on a Cd-rom. I found it on the Internet as a
download but it was so many individual files, it was confusing and they were
still too large. I wasn't even sure what I was supposed to download, but it
didn't matter because they were taking forever to download even with my
satellite and I had to quit.