speed of a 1Gb/s network? netpipe result >

David Timms dtimms at bigpond.net.au
Sun Apr 30 14:14:55 UTC 2006

Eugen Leitl wrote:
> As to measuring throughput, http://www.scl.ameslab.gov/netpipe/
> is your friend.
You got me interested enough to find and try netpipe (repo=rpmforge.net)
Netpipe example on non-tuned machines (and without stopping any of the
normal stuff these machines are doing (eg vnc sessions, numerous other
services like smb and web server - mostly idle though)).
===
asus a7n8x - hp omnibook xe3
nforce     - National DP83815
100Mbit   <> 100Mbit  +via d-link dsl-504G adsl router (100Mb/s)
peek 89Mb/s @ 2MB block size.
above 80Mb/s from about 256kB block size.
===
dell PE2650      - asus amd mb
broadcom gigabit - inbuilt gigabit
has tcp offload  - no tcp offload  +via cisco gigabit switch
peek 666Mb/s @ 128kB
above 600Mb/s from about 64kB block size.
===
With previous ftp based tests on the 100Mb pair, with CD iso images, I
haven't been able to get above about 70Mb/sec (from memory). This is
partly due to the ip/tcp processing overhead that is done on the CPU,
and partly to do with how the protocol works eg rx ack for every package
before sending next (in simple terms).

DaveT.