FC5 docs

Dan grinnz at gmail.com
Sun Apr 30 17:59:21 UTC 2006

Keith Powell wrote:
> On Sunday 30 April 2006 2:39 pm, Bart Couvreur wrote:
>
>> Hey Keith,
>> welcome to Fedora!
>>
>> To install nvidia drivers:
>> # yum install kmod-nvidia
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Bart
>>

> Hello Bart, and thanks for the welcome.
>
> I tried your method of installing the nvidia driver, but it didn't
> work. I must have done something wrong but, because of my lack of
> knowledge about Fedora, didn't know what.
>
> For information, I went into text mode and typed
> yum install kmod-nvidia.
> I got:

> Setting up Installation process
> Setting up repositories
> core
> updates
> extras
> Reading repository metadata in from local files
> Parsing package install arguments
> No match for argument: kmod-nvidia
> Nothing to do.
>
> I tried editing the xorg.conf file to change the driver from "nv" to
> "nvidia", but that didn't work.
>
> While typing this post, I have just realised that I hadn't installed
> the livna repository, so I am wondering if that was the problem.
>
> However, when I did it Stuart's way, installing livna first, it has
> worked!
>
> I think I have really messed this up, but I am learning fast.  :-(
>
> Many thanks again to you both.
>
> Cheers
>
> Keith

You haven't messed anything up, just tried to do things out of order.
For one:
The kmod-nvidia package _is_ in livna, so if you don't have that
repository installed, yum can't find it. :)
And secondly, without that package installed, putting "nvidia" as the
driver name will not work because it refers Xorg to the nvidia binary
drivers, which you didn't have installed.
No harm done.
-Dan