[PHILOSOPHY] Stability and Release Schedules

Stephen Mirowski spmirowski at shaw.ca
Sun Apr 30 19:13:26 UTC 2006

Peter Gordon wrote:
> I don't know how others find this, but I personally am a big fan of
> grabbing the DVD ISOs, even with a relatively speedy connection. In
> this way, I can install everything I need from the disc(s), and get
> work done while I let the update do its thing.
I recommend the DVD ISO to those still using CDs (access to a D VD
burner and reader permitted).  Aside from not changing the disc 4 or 5
times, I find the DVD installs in about 1/2 the time of CD-ROM install.

As per another commend about the disk completely out of date after a few
months is true.  However,
there was a Fedora user who maintained "Service Packs" editions of 4.
Label FC4.1 FC4.2 etc.  This
is a nice band-aid, but the underlining problem rests in anaconda.  It
should have an option to grab
updated packages from the mirror on install while getting the remaining
packages from the Disc.

Stephen