Networking Problems

David G. Miller dave at davenjudy.org
Tue Aug 1 20:46:17 UTC 2006

DRicher33 <no-reply-gw at fcp.homelinux.org> wrote:

>Hi all,
>
>Fairly new to linux and having some problems troubleshooting my internet connection.
>
>For some reason I can't get to the outside world and it's driving me nuts.  I can't ping anything outside my localhost.  I'm running a static IP address:
>
>IP: xx.xx.128.149
>Sub: 255.255.252.0
>Gateway: xx.xx.128.1
>
>Confirmed with my ISP that those are correct.  I've assigned DNS settings properly and confirmed on another machine that the Gateway, DNS servers are working.
>
>Here is what I've done:
>
>1. Reinstalled Fedora Core 5
>2. Turned off the firewall and SELINUX
>3. Tried a different network card with same result.
>
>Am I missing something here? Is this some weird DNS issue?
>
>Any help would be great
>thanks

Could you also post a description of your network topology?  Something like:

(ISP) <-> Your Router <-> Possible switch or hub <-+-> The linux box

                                                   +-> Box that works

Mainly, just need to know which box does NAT or if you're swapping
cables so only one box is on-line at any one time.

Cheers,
Dave

-- Ambrose Bierce