DRI with ATI Radeon 9600 on AMD64 machine

Klaasjan Brand klaasjan at gmail.com
Tue Aug 8 07:11:30 UTC 2006

On 8/7/06, Timothy Murphy <tim at birdsnest.maths.tcd.ie> wrote:

> I'm running Fedora-5 (x86_64 version) on an AMD64 machine
> with Radeon 9600 video card.
>
> I find that X hangs with kernel 2.6.17-1.2157_FC5 or 2.6.17-1.2139_FC5
> unless I comment out "Load dri" in /etc/X11/xorg.conf .
>
> Is that to be expected?
> Is there anything else I could have done?

You might have hit a bug in the r300 3d driver which is still experimental
but seems to have been enabled sometime during the FC5 release cycle (it's
working for me on a Radeon 9700 mobile card).

If you want it fixed you can file a bugreport. I suppose the X server log
file (/var/log/Xorg.0.log) is an interesting starting point.

I may say that I don't notice any difference in the display.

DRI only affects 3d acceleration. 2d applications will work fine without it.

Klaasjan