Removable media on FC5

Steven Pasternak stevenp500 at bellsouth.net
Sun Aug 13 05:10:16 UTC 2006

Akop Pogosian wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 12, 2006 at 03:47:29PM +1000, Brian Chadwick wrote:
>
>> Akop Pogosian wrote:
>>
>>> After putting a vanilla FC5 installation on my PC, I noticed that data
>>> CDs are not being mounted and that audio CDs are not being
>>> played automatically any more. What happened? I can mount the CDs
>>> with mount command though.
>>>

>>> -akop
>>>

>> have you ever installed FC5 before? ... or have you just switched from
>> windows? ... in other words .. are you new to FC5 ?
>>

> That's the first time I installed it. It find it strange because this
> "just works" on other Fedora versions.
>

> -akop

Is this a fresh install or an upgrade from previous versions? You can
try (if using gnome) to go to System>Preferences>"Removable Drives and
Media" and see what is set. In KDE, a window should nag you when you add
anything. Also make sure that there is no CDROM location set in the
fstab. I don't know why, but the automounting seems to not work in FC5
when something is there for the CDs.
-Steven