web server

Res res at ausics.net
Sun Aug 13 21:11:25 UTC 2006

On Sun, 13 Aug 2006, Jeroen van Meeuwen wrote:

> Brian Chadwick wrote:
>> Jeroen van Meeuwen wrote:
>
> I'm terribly sorry but if the operating system finds itself out of
> memory, httpd will not have the time to write to it's own error_log.
> Instead, the process will be killed by the kernel. This event will be
> logged in /var/log/messages

This assumes memory as the problem, most often apache logs can reflect
some form of an attack, just one of the myriad of ways a system hang may
happen, but this also assumes the machine is not patched, or patched
incorrectly or some other lil thing you have running that allows a
compromise

--
Cheers
Res

"Just a world that we all must share, it's not enough just to stand and
stare, is it only a dream that there'll be no more turning away" - Floyd