Fedora Core 5 Issues

Joachim Backes joachim.backes at rhrk.uni-kl.de
Tue Aug 15 09:24:56 UTC 2006

Andy Green wrote:
> Roger wrote:
>> Has anyone had issues with Fedora Core 5 64bit version. I tried to use
>> it for one of my production servers and i had endless issues trying to
>> get it to work, first i had the segfaults caused by some of my
>> processes. Then the SATA drivers started giving errors and eventually
>> my hard drive started failing etc. I believe in Fedora and dumped FC5 for
>
> I used FC5 on x86_64 for several months completely happily.  Then a
> couple of months ago that box killed first one SATA drive (this is on
> nVidia SATA driver/controller) and then after one week, its replacement
> SATA drive.  By 'killed' I mean I came in one morning and the drive is
> repeatedly resetting itself on a 10-or-so second cycle, will not boot,
> etc.  I abandoned the whole PC and moved my life into a laptop.
>
> I have three ideas what may have happened:
>
>  - Power supply problem: the 12V became weak and unstable and the drive
> kept "powering up".  Problem with believing this is that there were few
> devices in the box, and there had been no changes to the roster of
> devices in there for months
>
>  - Driver problems: on a later kernel, changes in the driver cause it to
> try to reset the drive and there are problems with the logic that it
> will keep doing so until it kills the drive, perhaps because the drive
> firmware does not always handle soft resets properly (on a WD and a
> Seagate though?)
>
>  - Karmic burden from a past life caught up with me and it is just random
>
> Please describe what happened with your dead drive.
>
> -Andy

HAving installed FC5/x86_64 on some Athlon XP 3... without problem. Additionally having installed
FC5/x86_64 on a sun fire V40z with 8 cpus (no sata). The only problem I have is that on the sun
fire the video card  "Trident Microsystems Blade 3D PCI/AGP" can't be driven in 1280x1024/millions
of colors mode.

Being happy too.

Regards

--
Joachim Backes <joachim.backes at rhrk.uni-kl.de>
University of Kaiserslautern,Computer Center [RHRK],