x86_64 or i386?

Phil Meyer pmeyer at themeyerfarm.com
Thu Aug 17 22:37:17 UTC 2006

Mike Hix wrote:

> Hi -
>
> I have recently upgraded my hardware, upgrading to FC5, and I’m
> wondering whether to use i386 or x86_64.
>
> Hardware:
>
> Pentium D 950
>
> Intel D975XBX Desktop Board
>
> DDR2 667
>
> NVidia GeForce 6800
>
> Etc...
>
> Any additional information about the x86_64 packages and software
> availability would be nice. Google wasn’t very forthcoming on the subject.
>
> Thanks!
>
> - Mike

As most have shown here, plugins are about the only issue you will see
on Fedora x86_64.

What they don't point out is that smp is built into the x86_64 kernel in
a good way. 64 bit computing has been here for many years now, it is
only Microsoft (and as a result, intel) that wish to stay there at 32
bit computing. All other players have long since moved on (or died trying).

Also, just to put some lemon juice on that paper cut, look here for the
easiest IE6 on Linux EVER!

http://esourcehome.com/wiki/index.php?title=IE_for_FC5

It worked like a champ on my 64bit rig.
Then it really doesn't matter, does it?

Gotta have YouTube and Movies.com (or whatever)? Slam it down with a
helping of IE6 :)

Good luck on whatever you try.