cannot mount cdrom as user after fc4 to fc5 yum upgrade

David G. Miller dave at davenjudy.org
Wed Aug 23 03:43:51 UTC 2006

Jim Cornette <fc-cornette at insight.rr.com> wrote:

> I installed a system with the FC4 CDs that I had. Later I upgraded the
> system to FC5 via yum upgrade. I cannot mount data CDs as a regular
> user. The disc will mount if mounted using mount /dev/hdc
> /media/cdrecorder I can then view and deal with the content of the CD
> as a user. Is there a package that is new and might not be pulled in
> if one upgrades the installation via yum? I plan on releasing this
> computer into the hands of some regular desktop capable users. With
> this problem though, the user would have to know root password and how
> to work at the command line. Hopefully there is some program that was
> not pulled in and it will mend all wounds. Thanks, Jim

Chances are the upgrade process just rewrote your /etc/fstab file.  Add
the keyword "user" or "managed" to the mount options column for the
cdrecorder in fstab.  It should look something like:

/dev/hdb                /media/cdrecorder       auto
pamconsole,exec,noauto,user 0 0

or

/dev/hdb                /media/cdrecorder       auto
pamconsole,exec,noauto,managed 0 0

I think managed relies on the automounter while "user" lets the user
mount and the same user unmount the drive.  User the "users" mount
option if you want to allow any user to unmount the drive even if they
weren't the user who originally mounted it.  Hopefully, someone else
will chime in with how "managed" really works.

Cheers,
Dave

-- Ambrose Bierce