What is the language "British"?

gb spam gbofspam at gmail.com
Mon Aug 28 21:48:16 UTC 2006

On 8/28/06, Timothy Murphy <tim at birdsnest.maths.tcd.ie> wrote:
> I think the difference between British-English and US-English
> is exaggerated to an absurd degree.
> Ask someone whether the novel they just read
> was published in the UK or the US, and 90% will not have noticed.

I disagree.  As a Brit living in the USA for several years it is still
painfully obvious to me when the natives "get it wrong".  Most of the
different spellings stick out like a sore thumb when I read them, and
the same goes for my American colleagues when they see my spelling.

Where I would agree with you is with films, but there I have come to
the conclusion that the dialog is written in a largely
British/American-agnostic fashion.  The same goes for some, but not
all, TV shows.  Watch some American news channels and you'll soon
whince at "burglarized" but I'd never heard that term in a film
(either in the UK or here).