Keyboard Problem in Fedora Core 4

David Desscan ddesscan at gmail.com
Tue Aug 29 12:43:35 UTC 2006

I had another question on keyboard and Fedora Core 4 but it was never
posted.  So first of all you are lucky your question has been forwarded to
this list.  Apparently mine has not been retained and I don't know the
reason.  So I hope it won't be a problem if I ask it again here.

  I have a compaq nx9010 notebook and my problem is that certain keys
doesn't work for e.g. the ¦ key.  Since I purchased this notebook in
Switzerland it has a Swiss keyboard and obviously I installed the correct
keyboard map ;-).  Well the first thing I did is to set the keyboard map to
default which is the standard US 105 keys with *loadkeys -v -d* .  I set it
back to CH using *loadkeys -v fr_CH* .  I checked the keyboard settings
in the *xorg.conf* file.  I have read that the scancodes can be interpreted
differently depending on the  API used i.e. console terminal or X(I mean
opening terminal from a GUI).I have only FC4 console installed and have not
been able to test it inside a GUI.

On 8/29/06, Manish Kathuria <manish at tuxspace.com> wrote:

> I have installed FC4 on a Pentium 200 MX system having an AT keyboard.

Please specify; qwertz, qwerty, or any other.

The keyboard is working perfectly on other systems.  However it does not
> work on this system when FC4 is running.

What do you mean by not working?  Do you mean keyboard detected but certain
keys not responding or scancodes interpreted differently?

 However it works well while
> booting up and when FC4 is run in single user mode. Any suggestions ?

check xorg.conf file and verify that the correct keyboard map is loaded.

Thanks,

> Manish
>
> Rgds

David