What is the language "British"?

Robin Laing Robin.Laing at drdc-rddc.gc.ca
Tue Aug 29 19:35:48 UTC 2006

Matthew Saltzman wrote:
> On Mon, 28 Aug 2006, Robin Laing wrote:
>
>> Erik P. Olsen wrote:

>>> And from which language does allot come? :-)
>>>

>> My poor spelling from having to learn "both" methods of spelling.
>>
>> And ignoring the spell checker warnings. :o
>

> Warnings?  Remind me not to use your spell checker...
>
> allot
> verb (used with object), -lotted, -lotting.
> 1.    to divide or distribute by share or portion; distribute or parcel
> out; apportion: to allot the available farmland among the settlers.
> 2.    to appropriate for a special purpose: to allot money for a park.
> 3.    to assign as a portion; set apart; dedicate.
> [Origin: 1425-75; earlier alot, late ME alotten < MF aloter, equiv. to
> a- a-5 + lot lot (< Gmc) + -er inf. suffix]
>
> Related forms
> allottable, adjective
> allotter, noun
>
> Synonyms 1. See assign.

And to read the original question, Allot comes from Old French.

To be honest on this one, I don't even know if the checker even flagged
any word.  I just meant I was not watching and ignored anything the
spell checker stated.  And I will say, my nine year old is a much better
speller than I ever was or will be.  I am better than I was though, she
has put me in my place.

--
Robin Laing