Badblocks results, some help ?

Jim Cornette fc-cornette at insight.rr.com
Tue Aug 1 01:37:32 UTC 2006

Philippe wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I just launched e2fsck -c /dev/hdb1 on my hard drive and have this
> result this morning. I know that this hardrive was deficient this
> week-end, I just want to know more. But is the result good or bad ? I
> dunno ;-)
>
> e2fsck 1.38 (30-Jun-2005)
> Checking for bad blocks (read-only test): done
> 040
> Pass 1: Checking inodes, blocks, and sizes
> Pass 2: Checking directory structure
> Pass 3: Checking directory connectivity
> Pass 4: Checking reference counts
> Pass 5: Checking group summary information
> root: ***** FILE SYSTEM WAS MODIFIED *****
> root: 11/9781248 files (9.1% non-contiguous), 353056/19537040 blocks
>
> Thanks for your help,
>
> Philippe

Usually when there are any problems, such as an unclean shutdown because
of power loss, there are inode corrections. It looks like your
filesystem checked clean.

You can read the documentation on the system with man or info or do a
search on e2fsprogs which contain the packages used to maintain the ext2
and ext3 filesystems.
http://e2fsprogs.sourceforge.net/ext2.html

Jim

--
George Washington was first in war, first in peace -- and the first to
have his birthday juggled to make a long weekend.