Internet Connection Failure

dragontale no-reply-gw at fcp.homelinux.org
Tue Aug 1 04:18:46 UTC 2006

When I typed in /sbin/iwconfig I get the following.

> [root at nookie fam]# /sbin/iwconfig
> lo        no wireless extensions.
>
> eth0      no wireless extensions.
>
> Warning: Driver for device wlan0 recommend version 18 of Wireless Extension,
> but has been compiled with version 17, therefore some driver features
> may not be available...
>
> wlan0     IEEE 802.11b  ESSID:"linksys"  Nickname:"nookie.localdomain"
>           Mode:Managed  Frequency:2.437 GHz  Access Point: 00:14:BF:28:74:C9
>           Bit Rate=11 Mb/s
>           RTS thr=35619 B   Fragment thr=35621 B
>           Encryption key:off
>           Power Management min timeout:0us  mode:All packets received
>           Link Quality:100/100  Signal level:-76 dBm  Noise level:-256 dBm
>           Rx invalid nwid:0  Rx invalid crypt:0  Rx invalid frag:0
>           Tx excessive retries:0  Invalid misc:0   Missed beacon:0
>
> sit0      no wireless extensions.

I read the man page of iwconfig but there wasn’t much I could do. I read about “key/enc” which sort of gave me a hint and thought if I could type something like the below………

/sbin/iwconfig wlan0 key <my key>

^ I thought that if I typed the above in terminal I would get a connection, but no luck, again not sure what I’m doing. You said from the above that I also needed a WEP key for FC4 and that’s what I thought too. But I don’t know how to do that. I’m currently googling on how to setup a network WEP key, I just hope something turns up.

--
This is an email sent via the webforum on http://fcp.homelinux.org
http://fcp.homelinux.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?post_id=103250&topic_id=24433&forum=23#forumpost103250