Question on using projector with Dell Inpiron 6000 & FC5...

Andy Campbell fedora at starsend.force9.co.uk
Tue Aug 1 20:39:12 UTC 2006

Kanwar Ranbir Sandhu wrote:
> On Sun, 2006-30-07 at 17:37 -0500, Guillermo de Jesús Hoyos Rivera
> (gmail) wrote:
>

>>         Finally I have naively tried to use the Fn+F8 key combination
>> (to redirect the output of the display in Windows). None of the
>> previously stated tries worked.
>>
>>         Does some one of you know how to do this?
>>

> This is, for me, the most frustrating thing with running Fedora Core on
> my Dell D800 laptop.  I cannot easily switch the display to a second
> monitor or display at the same time on a projector.
>
> I have a nvidia card in this laptop and use their proprietary driver,
> but I still can't use the Fn+F8 key combo.  What a pain in the ass.
>
> On the bright side, FC5's hibernate and suspend work beautifully on my
> Toshiba Satellite 3000.  I really appreciate the efforts put into
> getting hibernate and suspend working more reliably.  I'm hopeful it
> will work with my D800 when I move it to FC5, too.
>
> If you figure out the dual display problem, let me know the magic
> incantation. :)
>
> Regards,
>
> Ranbir

If it helps I posted on the nvidia linux forum that I couldn't get the
Fn+F8 CRT/LCD screen
swap to work on my D620, and the reply was it was a known problem and
the work around
was to use TwinView, and NULL in the META modes. You should then be able
to use
Ctl+Alt Key pad +/- to change the X display mode

Hasn't worked for me yet but I need to play some more with the configs.

Andy.