script to log work done on Servers

Mark Haney mhaney at ercbroadband.org
Wed Aug 2 16:22:05 UTC 2006

David Desscan wrote:
> We are different administrators to administrate Linux servers(Fedora Core
> and RHEL).  Sometimes we use remote access ssh and su to perform important
> tasks and read logs.  Since we use the same admin username and password, it
> is sometimes difficult to know who has done what and when.  Is it possible
> to log tasks and use different accounts with admin privileges on linux?  I
> would also like to write a script which will echo a warning message when
> commands like rm is used and eventually prevent irrecoverable actions on
> important system folders like /bin /sbin /etc /boot and /home.  Thanks for
> help and any referred web link.

I've found that sudosh works for users who log in via ssh and then sudo
su into root.  This might be a better app for monitoring who does what,
if and only if you block logging in via ssh as root (which is always a
good idea) and setup sudo access for who needs it.

--
Me transmitte sursum, caledoni!

Mark Haney
Sr. Systems Administrator