FC4 NIS client problems

Robin Laing Robin.Laing at drdc-rddc.gc.ca
Wed Aug 2 19:26:20 UTC 2006

Alberto Ferrante wrote:

> I also suspected that but haven't verified before writing my first
> post... In any case, I have just checked and, no, they seems to start in
> the right order (S13 for portmap, S27 for ypbind). I have tried to move
> the ypbind server down in the list of services to start (S60) and all
> seems to work correctly. I guess this is a problem with some timing...
> Sounds like portmap is not fully initialized when ypbind tries to start
> in its original position. And this would also explain why on a different
> PC all works fine...
>
> It sounds like I will need to modify this on 40 PCs :-((
>
> Thank you again.
>
> Best regards,
> 	Alberto
>
> Brian D. McGrew wrote:
>
>>It sounds like ypbind is starting before rpc.portmap?
>>
>>We have a similar problem with FC3 and we actually shuffle the order of
>>some of the scripts in /etc/rc5.d to fix it.  Check out what order your
>>programs are starting in.

I don't really know nis but have had problems at work.  Has there been a
change that somehow changed the nsswitch.conf files?  We had to change
the configuration files due to a change in our network configuration and
the ldap servers.  All this came out due to a major power outage that
took down part of the network.

--
Robin Laing