squid as reverse proxy

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Thu Aug 3 18:26:10 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-08-03 at 17:05 +0200, Boris Glawe wrote:

> In my squid.conf on 192.168.1.100 I have set the httpd_accel_host to
> 192.168.1.98 an httpd_accel_port to 80, which says "forward all requests
> on port 80 to the machine 192.168.1.98:80.
>
> When I enter our url (http://ourname.dyndns.org/ or
> http://<our-ip-address>/ ) in a webbrowser, which is running on machine
> in the internet, we get the apache test page, which is configured with
> fedora's apache installation. Thus our forwarding seems to work.
>
> But when I enter our url in this way: http://ourname.dyndns.org/ourcms,
> it's not the proxy that answers the request, but the browser tries to
> contact the webserver 192.168.1.98 directly, which is of course not
> visible in the internet.

Squid is doing the right thing.  Apache on the destination machine
is responding with a redirect because it needs a trailing slash
on the URL.   You need to look at the ServerName and
UseCanonicalName directives in your httpd.conf to make it respond
with either the name you want or the name the client used in the
redirect URL.

--
  Les Mikesell
  lesmikesell at gmail.com