10TB RAID issues

Maccy maccy at maccomms.co.uk
Thu Aug 3 22:09:17 UTC 2006

>The bottom line is that unless you employ gross hacks, you will not be
>able to both partition and boot from an array larger than 2TB.  The
>standard MS-DOS partition table maxes out at 2TB, so for larger
>devices you need to use the new style GPT (GUID Partition Table), but
>then you cannot boot from that device.  (HP says they have a way to do
>so, and have conveniently patented it.)

Thanks for all the suggestions. GPT labels are what came out of the box.

>Another option is to enable 2TB auto-carving in the 3ware BIOS and
>recreate your arrays.  This will present the arrays as a number of 2TB
>drives to the OS; you can join them all via LVM and then create
>volumes out of that.
>
>The latter option is probably the simplest, but I haven't evaluated
>the performance aspect yet.

That's another possibility to add to the list - I'll probably
investigate XFS first. I don't need to boot from these arrays - I
already have a system disk and mirror disk in place.

>m> Have installed FC4
>
>With just a few weeks until FC4 goes to Legacy, are you really sure
>you don't want to install FC5 or something like Centos?

If the truth be told, I am using Scientific Linux 4.3 but I didn't want
to be told to go elsewhere (as this list has proved to be very helpful
to me in the past)

:)

Thanks again

Mark