Broadcom 4319

David G. Miller dave at davenjudy.org
Fri Aug 4 21:42:58 UTC 2006

Kanwar Ranbir Sandhu <m3freak at rogers.com> wrote:

> Hello List, Has anyone got a Broadcom 4319 wireless card working in
> FC4 or FC5 with ndiswrapper? If not, does anyone have links to howtos
> or something of that sort? I'm mostly interested in finding out how
> well, if it all, the card works in Fedora. Thanks in advance for any
> help. Regards, Ranbir

I ended up continuing to use ndiswrapper.  I was only able to get the
bcm43xx module to work if I opened up my AP.  With ndiswrapper, I'm able
to continue to use WEP for authentication (WAP is a future project) and
do MAC address filtering.  I haven't retried bcm43xx for a couple of
kernel builds but this was still the state the last time I tried it.

If you have your own AP and need it to be secure, ndiswrapper appears to
be the way to go.  If you just need to connect to open APs, bcm43xx is
open source except for the firmware and is always "in sync" with the
current kernel.  With ndiswrapper, you either need to get the module
from someplace like the livna repository that rebuilds it each time the
kernel is updated or rebuild it yourself.  I hope the folks doing the
bcm43xx module get the WEP problem fixed since I think this is a far
cleaner solution as compared to ndiswrapper.

Cheers,
Dave

-- Ambrose Bierce