question about files

Alexander Dalloz ad+lists at uni-x.org
Fri Aug 4 22:01:30 UTC 2006

Ronald Warsow schrieb:

>hello
>
>help needed to investigate the firmware of my router.

Which brand and model is that? Often enough SOHO routers run a modified
Linux.

>the firmware is a simple tar archive, containing some simple files and 2 files i'm not able to look in:
>1. filesystem.image
>file filesystem.image gives:
>filesystem.image: Squashfs filesystem, little endian, version 2.76, 2819566 bytes, 1078 inodes, blocksize: 65536 bytes, created: Mon Jul 17 13:50:08 2006
>
>2. kernel.image
>file kernel.image gives:
>kernel.image: data

Not unusual to find this splitted system. Certainly you found out by
google searches that you could mount a squashfs.

>|:-<
>
>any idea's to get a deeper look ???
>hint: some site in the internet talking about BUSYBOX as the OS (?) of the router.

busybox is not an OS but a shell and build-in tools:
http://www.busybox.net/about.html
Another hint that your router runs a Linux derivative.

>ronald

Alexander