10TB RAID issues

Jason L Tibbitts III tibbs at math.uh.edu
Sat Aug 5 14:47:13 UTC 2006

>>>>> "T" == Tim  <ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au> writes:

On Thu, 2006-08-03 at 15:41 -0500, Jason L Tibbitts III wrote:
> One option is to stick another drive in the machine and boot from
> that.

T> I would have thought that to be quite a practical approach.

It's not always that simple.  It's now possible to get >2TB in a 1U
case with no room for anything other than a single additional laptop
drive.  What now?  Stick your OS on a non-redundant drive?  Try to
hot-glue another drive somewhere?  Not really smart.  One hack I've
thought about is to stick a GPT-capable GRUB on a floppy or a USB
dongle that's left permanently plugged in.  (It's even possible to
jury-rig an internal USB flash drive for this.)

The 2TB limit is going to start interfering much more often in the
near future, especially with 1TB drives due out in a few months.  I
hope that server-class boards start switching over to EFI before that
happens.

 - J<