"/var/www/html" permission question

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Sat Aug 5 16:24:15 UTC 2006

On Sat, 2006-08-05 at 09:10 -0400, Ric Moore wrote:
> Confused, what about ownership?? I thought it had to be apache:apache
> according to the docs? Just getting mine up as well and I really need
> to know. I have no users on my machine, just html to the web.

Which docs suggest that?

For what it's worth, it's conventional for Apache to serve out documents
that have world-readable permissions (the "other" user), since it's
usually not going to be known users reading something on a world wide
web server.  As such, it doesn't matter who owns the files being read,
but ownership is important for authoring purposes (authors do need write
access to their own files), and security reasons (the server shouldn't,
generally, have write access).

I read messages from the public lists.