Another DNS question.

David G. Miller dave at davenjudy.org
Sat Aug 5 23:07:03 UTC 2006

"Erik P. Olsen" <erik at epo.dk> wrote:

>I have several PCs/LapTops accessing the Internet through a wireless router
>(Linksys WRT54G). It also acts as a DHCP server presenting each connected PC
>with an IP-address. For Internet access it works flawlessly but I have other
>application which access the PCs on the LAN, such as back-up programs (Bacula).
>
>For the last sort of applications I need to have either a static IP-address or
>an allways correct association between workstation name and its IP-address
>(/etc/hosts). It so happens that if the configuration (in terms of connected
>PCs/LapTops) remains static then the boxes get the same IP-address each time
>they connect to the router. This is, however, not allways true if the
>configuration is dynamic (many different PCs and not allways the same).
>
>I feel that what I really need is a DSN on the LAN which is being updated each
>time a box connects to the router and gets an IP-address. I have noticed that
>some people disable the DHCP server in their router and establesh a DHCP server
>in one of connected PCs, but I don't see how that can be accomplished and what
>happens if that server is taken out of the network?
>
>Is there a way out of this problem?

You might have a look at this thread:

http://fcp.homelinux.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=24633&forum=10&post_id=103922#forumpost103922

The original question is almost exactly the same as what you're asking
about.  Most of the two possible solutions are described.

Cheers,
Dave

-- Ambrose Bierce