broadcom radio off in dmesg

David G. Miller dave at davenjudy.org
Sat Aug 5 23:34:31 UTC 2006

Jerry W. Whitmire wrote:

> If i post my dmesg could some one look it over
> and let me know how to get my droadcom wireless
> card to turn on? It is setup as eth1.
> thanks

Did you ever get an answer on this?  On my HP Pavilion laptop there
seems to be two different levels of "off".  One is soft and corresponds
to just not loading an appropriate driver such as ndiswrapper or
bcm43xx.  The other is hard and I found this out the hard way.  When I
first got the laptop I didn't have any wireless APs so, while it was up
in Windows, I used the keyboard wireless button on the beasty to turn
off the capability.  Big mistake.

I very soon loaded Fedora (FC4 Test 3) and then found out there were
some useful APs about so I set about getting wireless working.  Turned
out that the only way to turn the radio back on was to boot to Windoze
and toggle it back on from the switch.  Since I had zapped windoze
completely, this meant a full re-install of windoze which I did when FC4
final was released and I need to upgrade from T3 to the production
release.

I ended up giving Windoze 10GB of my hard disk and setting up dual boot
just in case there were other things that I needed to get to.  Not all
that unexpectedly, BIOS updates required booting to Windoze.

Cheers,
Dave

-- Ambrose Bierce