Bash script variables question[Scanned]

Chris Bradford chrisbradford at cambridge-news.co.uk
Sun Aug 6 11:39:08 UTC 2006

Hi guys,

I'm putting together a simple login script for bash where I call a
zenity box that has an IT Policy for our company.

If the user accepts the policy I want this acceptance to be echoed,
along with the host name of the machine they are on and the time, into a
text file on a mounted network share. The script I have so far is:

#!/bin/sh

ctime=/bin/date
compname=hostname

if zenity --question --title "Cambridge Newspapers IT Policy" --text "By
logging intothis workstation you accept that you are bound to the IT
Policy. \n\nIf you do not accept this policy please selcet Cancel to
logoff, otherwise press OK to continue."

then
     echo $USER "accepted User IT Policy @" $ctime "from" $compname
else
     echo "Logoff"
     # remove the echo and speach marks
     echo 'killall gnome-session'
fi

But the date is not echoed, only the string 'date' and 'hostname' does
the same. Can anyone tell me where I am going wrong?

Thanks in advance,

-Chris