GNOME hangs

Croombe F. Pensom croombefp at sympatico.ca
Sun Aug 6 14:49:41 UTC 2006

I've also had this problem very recently when GNOME would hang during
the splash screen with only one ikon on the progress bar. I was given a
couple of tips by members of my local user's group. They are :

1) from root do following bash
rm /tmp/.X10-lock

this worked for me several times

2) after a while it deteriorated to a black screen with a movable mouse
pointer and that's all. The suggestion for this cure was : from root do
following bash
rm /home/yourhomename/.gnome2/session

this worked also for a while and then it deteriorated even further (see
below).

How to get to the root? From your frozen GNOME hit CTL-ALT-F1 and this
will get you into bash and you can then log in as root and do the above
suggested bash commands.

Eventually, that even didn't work and I was advised to do something
which turned out to be disastrous so NEVER EVER issue the following from
a root shell

rm -rf $Home/*

As I found to my bitter cost, this ERASED EVERYTHING including my data
files on my USB memory stick and these were my day-to-day operating
needs such as : e-mail addresses, snail-mail addresses and phone numbers
etc., Firefox bookmarks, financial records and so on. I was DEVASTATED
to say the least. Now, following a complete re-install of FC5 I'm glad
to say I'm back in business and slowly recovering about 90% of my data
from old files saved to Zip disk.

Croombe Pensom