install while keeping /home - updated

Croombe F. Pensom croombefp at sympatico.ca
Mon Aug 7 13:41:04 UTC 2006

My best experience of this is since I installed a second HD and kept
my /home on that all the time. So, whenever I have to re-install (due to
a new version or the occasional crash after I've tried to something
complicated under root) my /home is left intact with all my data files
and settings (I use ISO settings for date, time and money formats, a
left handed mouse and other such minor things which are an irritant
during a re-install if one hasn't got them saved somewhere) unchanged
from the previous install.
With HD drives running so cheaply now (around $20 - $30 for a new one of
at least 40 GBy) I think this is an ideal solution : it has proved so to
me anyway.

BUT REMEMBER : during a fresh install make sure that you tell the
install NOT to format that partition!!!!

Croombe F. Pensom