ide-scsi problems

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Mon Aug 7 18:20:10 UTC 2006

James Pifer wrote:

> I have done scanbus and it sees my drive as 1,0,0. I have not tried
> doing /dev/hdc from cdrecord. hdc=noprobe did not work for me. Saw no
> cdrom device at all, and no devices like /dev/scd0.

In that case, your best bet is not to use ether hdc=ide-scsi or
hdc=noprobe. Your CD-ROM is PIDE drive. In my case, it is a SATA
drive, but the interface emulate a PIDE interface. (But I do not get
DMA when in the PIDE mode under Linux.)

> If I do hdc=ide-scsi I get these devices:
> lrwxrwxrwx 1 root   root        4 Aug  7 11:43 cdrom -> scd6
> lrwxrwxrwx 1 root   root        4 Aug  7 11:43 cdrom-sr0 -> scd0
> lrwxrwxrwx 1 root   root        4 Aug  7 11:43 cdrom-sr1 -> scd1
> lrwxrwxrwx 1 root   root        4 Aug  7 11:43 cdrom-sr2 -> scd2
> lrwxrwxrwx 1 root   root        4 Aug  7 11:43 cdrom-sr3 -> scd3
> lrwxrwxrwx 1 root   root        4 Aug  7 11:43 cdrom-sr4 -> scd4
> lrwxrwxrwx 1 root   root        4 Aug  7 11:43 cdrom-sr5 -> scd5
> lrwxrwxrwx 1 root   root        4 Aug  7 11:43 cdrom-sr6 -> scd6
>
> Maybe that explains why I get 6 icons when a disc automounts, but why is
> it creating all of these and not just one? Which one do I point vmware
> player at?

I am not sure why you get all seven devices. It is possible that
there is a bug in the ide-scsi driver with some hardware. Because
most people are no longer using ide-scsi for CD writers, it could go
undetected. If you are going to use ide-scsi, then /dev/scd6 is the
device you would give VMWare. But you would be better off not using
ide-scsi.

> If I don't use either hdc=noprobe or hdc=ide-scsi and try to use
> cdrecord I get thie error:
> TOC Type: 1 = CD-ROM
> scsidev: '1,0,0'
> scsibus: 1 target: 0 lun: 0
> cdrecord: Invalid or incomplete multibyte or wide character. Cannot open SCSI driver.
> cdrecord: For possible targets try 'cdrecord -scanbus'.
> cdrecord: For possible transport specifiers try 'cdrecord dev=help'.

Try using dev=ATA:1,0,0 instead of dev=1,0,0

> Using K3B it did in fact record an iso without any additional kernel
> parameters. Looking at the debug for k3b it uses dev=/dev/hdc, so as
> someone else said that must work ok. I'm ok with using that.
>
> Occasionally I use webmin to burn CDs so I need to figure out how to
> change it to use /dev/hdc instead of /dev/cdrom.
>
> Either way I'll use k3b for now.
>
> Thanks for the responses.
>
> James

When you remove the ide-scsi option, the link should get changed so
that /dev/cdrom is a symlink to /dev/hdc, so you should not need to
change the settings in Webmin.

Mikkel