able to login as root via ssh :-(

Todd Zullinger tmz at pobox.com
Tue Aug 8 02:33:30 UTC 2006

Don Russell wrote:
>>Why?  Just curious what made you believe it was disabled by default.
>>

> Well.... just ignorance on my part.... but ftp doesn't allow me log
> in as root, and I don't recall changing that setting. Call it "I
> expected any form of remote access to be consistent in denying root
> access". Of course they are different programs (ftp server/ssh
> server)... and I always see messages that say "... ssh in, then su -
> to root...." sort of implies that ssh to root directly won't work.
> But again, abad assumption on my part. :-(

It's not unreasonable to assume the default would be to disable it.
I'm sure there have been debates on what the right default should be
among the openssh developers.  I didn't mean to pick on you by asking.
;-)

> Now that it's pointed out to me, of course I see that. :-) Thank you.

No problem.

> One of these days I will learn how to do a case-insensitive search in
> vim :-(
> I did /root and of course it came up empty... so I figured there must
> have been some other place...

Add 'set ignorecase' to ~/.vimrc to make it ignore case by default.
You can also do this while in vim by entering that (or the shorthand
set ic) in command mode (:).  To make case sensitive again, use set
noic.

You can do something similar with less so that you'll get case
insensitive searches in man pages, which I've found quite helpful.
The --ignore-case (or -i) option is what you want.  You can either
alias less to less -i or export LESS="-i" (adding any other options
you want as well.

>>You might also want to disable password based authentication and
>>only allow a few explicit users.  See PasswordAuthentication and
>>AllowUsers in the sshd_config(5) man page.
>
> That's a good idea.... I'm the only one that needs remote access....
> and my logs are always showing people "knocking at the door"
> sometimes hundreds a day.

Yep, the same bastards knock on most of our doors too. :)

Yet another helpful method for stopping a lot of that is to run ssh on
a different port.

> Thanks... now, if only it wouldn't bother asking for a password when
> the userid is 'root'.. like ftp simply denies the request right
> there. But, at least that little door is closed now. :-)

It does on my system.  I've set PasswordAuthentication no and
AllowUsers myusername.  Trying to ssh in as root gets me a quick
permission denied message.

- --
If quitters never win, and winners never quit, then who is the fool
who said "Quit while you're ahead?"