How to use Xen with eth1?

Chris Bradford chrisbradford at cambridge-news.co.uk
Sat Aug 12 10:38:46 UTC 2006

Hi guys,

I've managed to get xen up and running, but I am running into problems
more and more with the networking side of things.

I have two network cards in my box, a Broadcom 10/100 which is eth0 and
an Intel 1000MT which is eth1.

During the install process of my first VM I had to use eth0 as the
network interface on the xen0 machine, otherwise the xenU machine would
not find the ftp server to install from.

Since I have discovered that you can change the network script so that
it uses eth1 instead of eth0, which is what I have done, and this works
perfectly. The file I amended was:

vi /etc/xen/xend-config.sxp

I changed:

(network-script network-bridge)

(network-script 'network-bridge netdev=eth1')

This is described in the file itself.

Today I decided that I wanted to setup a second xenU client. I believed
that as I had modified the network script it would function correctly,
but I get the same FTP server not found errors that I had when I tried
to setup the first xenU client using eth1.

Is there a simple way to get the xenU install process to use eth1? Or to
get xen to use eth1 for all xenU clients?

Thanks for your help in advance,

-Chris